The long weekend is so close I can taste it…. I’ll be camping with friends and family this weekend to celebrate Canada day. I love the outdoors, it’s such a good way to escape the city and life for a few days of relaxation. Just give me a good book and some hot chocolate and i’m good to go.
If you know me personally, I am a huge fan of eggplant. It’s my all time favourite vegetable and I probably can’t live without it. I don’t know what it is, but it’s my go to on days I don’t know what to eat. Today, i’ll be sharing a healthy favourite of mine: Mediterranean Eggplant Beef Burgers. They’re healthy, juicy, different and so easy to make. Perfect on a hot summer day as a main or appitizer. My favourite part, the refreshing apple garlic sauce! So good! Give it try guys and let me know what plans you guys have this weekend!
Mediterranean Eggplant Beef Burgers
1 pound of ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1 garlic clove
1-2 tbsp chopped dill (fresh)
Grilled Eggplant + Tomato Topping
1 large Eggplant
2-3 Fresh Tomatoes
3 tbsp mayonaise
1/2 green apple (Granny Smith)
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- Start by slicing 1 large eggplant into thick circles (1-2 inches thick).
- Fill up a large bowl with water, add in 2 tbsp of salt. Add eggplant into water and let it sit for 5-10 mins (this will help remove the tartness from the eggplant)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor, add 3 tbsp mayo, 1/2 chopped apple, garlic cloves, lemon juice and dill. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 1 pound of ground beef, season with salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika and fresh dill.
- In a food processor, chop 1/2 onion and 1 garlic clove. Add to beef mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and mix everything together.
- Start by forming thin patties in different sizes to match the eggplant. I made a few large ones, medium ones and small ones.
- Place patties on a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove eggplant from water and rinse. Brush with olive oil and heat grill to high.
- Grill each eggplant slice until lightly browned and grill marks visible. Once done, set aside.
- Once everything is done, start with 1 slice of eggplant, cover top of eggplant with garlic sauce (1 tsp) and then add a beef patty on top and finish with a fresh tomato slice. Garnish with fresh dill!