Anyone else got hit with this ice storm? It’s quite scary but beautiful all at the same time. Everything is in ice; the ground, trees, yesterdays newspaper. I also got a chance to take some awesome photos even when my life was at risk haha. Ice was falling from all sides. I’ll share a photo below!
As much as I love winter and the cold. This has gone way to far. I am ready for spring, gardening and BBQ. I just can’t take the cold anymore. Due to this cold weather, I thought I’d share my mothers Meatball Soup recipe. It’s so hearty and delicious. My mom would make this recipe every time we would get sick. For some odd reason, it always helped. This was my childhood version of “Chicken Soup”.
1/2 pound of ground beef
1 egg yolk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 carrot (grated)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp flour
3-5 cups boiling water
- In a medium sized bowl, add in 1/2 pound of ground beef, salt and pepper, garlic powder, minced garlic, chopped onion and 1 egg yolk. Mix.
- Start by rolling ground beef mix into small meatballs and set aside on a plate.
- In a medium soup pan, heat 1 tbsp of canola oil at high heat.
- Once oil is heated, add in 1/2 sliced onion, 1/3 of a carrot grated, salt and pepper, flour and mix. Cook until onion is translucent. (3-5 mins)
- Then, pour in 3-5 cups of boiling water. Once fully boiling, taste and add more salt or pepper is needed.
- Start adding in the meatballs into the boiling soup and reduce heat to medium and let it simmer and cook for 15 mins.
- If you see any foam forming at the top, use a small strainer to collect and remove.
Serve with fresh cilantro.