Mothers Day is getting closer by the minute. As you know, this week I’m dedicating my recipes to my dear mother. She is the ultimate cook and has taught me everything I know + my dad, he’s taught me a few things as well. I grew up in a house full of cooks, my cousin is a chef back in Kazakhstan, my grandfather was a chef, my dad is a baker and the list goes on.
They are all such inspiring cooks. They cook with passion, laughter and love. It’s why I love food so much, like a little tooooo much. My hobbie is eating, trying new foods, learning how to cook something new. It’s in my blood.
Thanks to my mom, she’s taught me the fundamentals of cooking and has shared some amazing recipes that have been either passed on or her own. Enjoy this week, and surprise your mom with any of these unique recipes or with one your mom has shared with you.
Cottage Cheese Perogies
2 cups flour
Salt to taste
3/4 cup water
150-200 g cottage cheese
1/2 tsp baking powder
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
1 cup brown sugar (or white sugar)
1 lemon slice
1 tbsp water
- In a mixer, add flour, salt and egg. Mix well. Then while mixing, slowly pour in water.
- Let the dough keep mixing until formed into a nice ball.
- In a medium sized bowl, add cottage cheese, baking powder, salt, sugar and 1 egg yolk. Mix.
- Once dough is ready, roll into a ball, powder with flour and cut into strips.
- Roll strips and cup into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Powder pieces with flour while pressing each piece down with thumb.
- With a rolling pin, roll pieces into circles. In each circle, add 1 tsp of filling and fold in half.
- Press/close the halves together and set aside.
- In a large deep pan, boil and salt water. Once boiling, add perogies and close lid (make sure to mix first).
- Cook for 3-5 mins until all perogies have risen to the top of the water. Take cooked perogies out and mix with butter.
- In a pan, add cranberries, sugar, lemon and water and mix.
- Start by boiling at high heat, once boiling, reduce to low and cook for 5-10 mins.