I love Mothers day. I’m not a mom, but I cherish my mom/parents so much. I love buying them gifts and surprising them with a delicious breakfast. Seeing them smile is something we should all strive for, not just on mothers day but, everyday.
This recipe has been passed down to my mom from her grandmother and my mom passed it to me. I love this dessert. It’s simple, delicious and bite-size! Love love bite-size snacks. This might not be the most healthiest desserts buttttt most desserts are unhealthy anyways lol. I think this is the perfect dessert to surprise your mom. It’s unique and something she probably never tried. If your mom is into honey cakes, then this deep fried version will blow her mind!
Enjoy and let me know what you’re cooking this mothers day, I’d love to know!
Chak Chak (Deep Fried Honey Cake)
7 mini cakes
1 tbsp cognac
1 tsp sugar
2 pinches of salt
2 cups flour (will need more for later)
1 cup honey
1 cup sugar (white or brown)
- In a mixer, add 3 eggs, 1 tbsp cognac, 1 tsp sugar, 2 pinches of salt and mix.
- Slowly add 2 cups of flour while still mixing. Add by 1/2 cups.
- Once it has formed into a well mixed dough texture/look, wrap it and let it sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Once dough is ready, start by cutting into 4 pieces (set 3 pieces aside).
- Lightly flour and roll out piece into a thin circle (doesn’t have to be a perfect circle).
- Cut into strips and lightly flour strips then, cut into small pieces (square shaped pieces).
- Once all cut, powder with flour and gently mix with hands.
- Heat canola oil in a deep pan (enough to deep fry). Prepare a large dish with paper towel.
- Once heated, add 1 handful of the dough pieces and fry until golden (not too golden).
- Using a metal strainer, pick up pieces and move to large dish. Repeat process until all have been deep fried.
- Transfer pieces in a large deep bowl (not plastic, you can use metal or ceramic)
- In a small pan at high heat, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of honey. Mix until turned into a liquid form.
- Have a 4-6 plates ready. Pour half over pieces and quickly mix.
- Using hands, pick up a handful and place onto a place, slightly forming into a dome. (don’t worry, it will be warm not hot)
- It will be tricky forming a dome, but try your best, adding pieces to missing spots. Once it’s dried, it will a stick together.
- Once you’re done, using the remaining sauce (slightly heat it up if dried), brush over the domes.
- Done! Enjoy 🙂